Re-roofing is a costly endeavor, so it is well worth taking the time to find out how to maintain the roof of a commercial real estate building.
Despite the emphasis on inspection, many facilities technicians are missing signs that maintenance is required. Weather-Tech Roofing & Waterproofing suggests you check these areas when doing your next roof walk-through.
- Ceilings and interior walls. Look for discoloration and stains.
- Exterior walls. Is there any missing mortar? Cracks from settling? Water has a way of finding bad joints, aging sealant, and cracks.
- Gutters and drains. Leaves, debris, dirt…remove these things in order to avoid water from damming up on your roof top.
- Field of roof. Check for worn areas, tears, worn sealants. These are signs that attention is needed.
Be sure to check areas where you see ponding. This isn’t always a sign of clogged drains. It can be a signal of equipment malfunction or that the roofing membrane is lifting away.
- Flashing and metal fasteners. Is anything loose or rusted? Ensure that everything is tightened down to prevent anything from becoming a projectile during a storm.
- Rooftop equipment. Oils and chemicals from equipment leaks eat through roofing membrane. Be sure to take care of these issues right away.
There are special considerations that depend on the age, specific materials, and components unique to your roof. Weather-Tech Roofing & Waterproofing can assist you in developing an inspection schedule and checklist that is tailored to your building.